Identity politics

Rob Schaap rws at comserver.canberra.edu.au
Sat May 23 23:23:04 PDT 1998

G'day Brad,

> "A left that cannot find a way to unite behind the
> Betty Dumases of this world is no left at all."

Obviously, those not behind Betty Dumas are not lefties. To what degree are those who are behind her not united?

By the way, I'm reminded of Albert and Hahnel's *Unorthodox Marxism*. It may be getting on a bit now, but at least I felt I could grasp it. And it simply proposes the totality of dialectically intertwined 'pillars': sex, race, class, and authority (no hierarchy implied). Thus formulated, the task is one of bearing this totality in mind and choose our focus according to the tactical demands of any given situation. T

The only problem with Betty Dumas is that her situation so well exemplifies the virtues of the Albert/Hahnel conception of the totality that you wouldn't know where to focus ...

Cheers, Rob (who agrees with your entire post, btw)