Who is Michael Moore?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Sun May 24 15:38:25 PDT 1998

Lou Proyect wrote:
>Moore's success got him an invitation to take over as editor at Mother
>Jones. During the contra war in Nicaragua, the magazine started to shift to
>the right. The publisher, whose name I can't recall, was a trust-fund rich
>kid whose family made its millions in South African diamond mining. He told
>Moore to publish an anti-Sandinista article by Paul Berman, who had been
>writing this kind of crap in the Village Voice for a couple of years. Moore
>told him that Berman was objectively assisting the Reagan administration
>and refused to print the article. For this he was fired.

I regret that Moore couldn't find a way to integrate a story like the above--an instance of Moore's own international solidarity--in his comic story-telling. In _Roger & Me_, his getting fired by the _Mother Jones_ publisher is told as if it were a conflict between a yuppie taste for herb tea and an image of blue-collar worker Ben Hamper that was an affront to such a taste. Could it be that stories like the above tend to get de-emphasized for the sake of selling a comic populist narrative to a broad audience?

Yoshie