Cornel West (was Re: more Rorty)

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon May 25 18:39:31 PDT 1998

I was wondering if anybody was willing to expand the Rorty thread to include West (now elevated to the rank of University Professor at Harvard). West was a student of Rorty and if one takes a look at his book *The American Evasion of Philosophy* it shows. Unlike Rorty he is not anti-Marxist but he embraces a neo-pragmatism quite similar to Rorty's. Like Rorty he traces American pragmatism back to the thought of Emerson and considering the influence that Sidney Hook had on Rorty in his youth it is interesting to note that West draws upon Hook's early work *Towards the Understanding of Karl Marx* in elaborating his own synthesis of neo-pragmatism with a Gramscian Marxism and liberation theology.

Jim Farmelant

_____________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]