Scabs?

Maria Gilmore Maria.Gilmore at gte.net
Tue May 26 05:18:06 PDT 1998

My only additional observations to Carroll and Yoshie are, where do you get the idea that males of European lineage who are without power are the main, indeed the only agents of all these terrible things? Or that they're somehow as a group more guilty than others? The really tough thing about confronting this society is, so many people, all colors, sexes, and socio-economic status, are racist, sexist, homophobic...and class-conscious! Some of the most sexist people I've ever known have been women; some of the most racist, people of color; some of the most ignorant, academics; I have even known homophobic gays, in the sense that they choose not to be a part of a "gay community"; as one guy I worked with once put it, "I don't like to associate with other gay people."

So I think it's counterproductive, if not downright vindictive, to bash one segment of our culture as being worse than another. It's, well, unjust, now isn't it?