Identity politics/Reading Notes

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utk.edu
Tue May 26 06:11:56 PDT 1998

1. African philosophy. A real Jesuit scholar, Y. Mudimbe has written some very helpful volumes. And I think what he has to say about Levy-Bruhl's theory of primitive mentality and Evan-Pritchard's witchcraft studies is thought-provoking. Sorry for no complete cites-- the books are in my companion the professor's office. Suffice to say, there is a substantial body of philosophical work on the nature of anthropology and anthropological discourse (including a a study written in the analytical philosophical mode which is touted by Anthony Appiah). Ato Sekyi-Oto Fanon's Dialectic of Experience has been recommended to me, and Ernest Wambab-dia-Wamba's essays on the African palaver are interesting. If I remember correctly, John StC's collegue Kwasi Wiredu has written thoughtfully about violence in African political thought; so I hope John keeps us abreast about the volume KW is editing.

Mudimbe wrote the fine The Invention of Africa (Indiana U.P. 1987). And Sekyi-Otu's book is not only the finest on Fanon by far--I've read all of them--but the best defense/explication of narrative as a marxist practice written by anyone in the 1990s. (Jameson's work in the 1970s and 1980s is also associated with this.)

Kenneth Mostern Department of English University of Tennessee

"Talent is perhaps nothing other than successfully sublimated rage."

Theodor Adorno

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 2787 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19980526/dc87333b/attachment.bin>