Query re term, "Transformative Intellectuals"

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Tue May 26 12:49:05 PDT 1998

A grad student e-mailed me asking the following question. I'd like to help him since he started with a compliment to posts I had put on an english dept list that made almost everyone else angry. I've never heard the term. Has anyone on this list.

The query:

"I'm trying to tie up is something about the genealogy of the term "transformative intellectual"--or at least a clear reference or two. I've come to use the term so "naturally" to denote Feirean, activist, public intellectuals--ones committed to progressive ends both inside and outside the academy--that when asked to locate the term I'm having a bizarrely difficult time tracking it down."

Thanks if you can give him any help through me.

Carrol Cox