Identity politics/Reading Notes

John St. Clair jstclair at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue May 26 15:59:12 PDT 1998

Rakesh writes:
> 1. African philosophy. A real Jesuit scholar, Y. Mudimbe has written some
> very helpful volumes. And I think what he has to say about Levy-Bruhl's
> theory of primitive mentality and Evan-Pritchard's witchcraft studies is
> thought-provoking. Sorry for no complete cites-- the books are in my
> companion the professor's office. Suffice to say, there is a substantial
> body of philosophical work on the nature of anthropology and
> anthropological discourse (including a a study written in the analytical
> philosophical mode which is touted by Anthony Appiah). Ato Sekyi-Oto
> Fanon's Dialectic of Experience has been recommended to me, and Ernest
> Wambab-dia-Wamba's essays on the African palaver are interesting.
> If I remember correctly, John StC's collegue Kwasi Wiredu has written
> thoughtfully about violence in African political thought; so I hope John
> keeps us abreast about the volume KW is editing.
Three things: 1. I've got a copy of Wiredu's article on African philosophy for the upcoming (or is it out already?) Routledge Encyclopedia of Philosophy. If you want a copy, let me know--I'll email it to you off-list; it's really excellent. 2. Correction: student, not collegue. 3. Frances is his assistant, so I'm sure her knowledge of the status of his Cambridge Companion is more accurate than mine.

John

John St. Clair University of South Florida Department of Philosophy Cooper 107 Tampa, FL 33620

Office: CPR 267 Phone: 813-974-5896 Hours: M 3-5, T 10-12 http://chuma.cas.usf.edu/~jstclair/