AFL-CIO/DP?

Tue May 26 23:52:37 PDT 1998

Let's say that identity politics is irrelevant to the Betty Dumas and her comrades in the American working class. But let's be clear: that doesn't then make the AFL-CIO and the Democratic Party the vehicles of their emancipation. Going on and on about the collapse of the left into identity politics and thirdworldism and about the nastiness of Republicans only enables the conscious and non conscious spokespersons here for those two bureaucracies from facing their real problems and limits.

Now a leading researcher for the AFL-CIO has outlined a structural Keynesian program that he wants the Democratic Party to implement. I believe his name is Thomas Palley, and the book is titled something like Getting Nothing Plenty from Princeton University Press (1998--it's $26, so I haven't bought it yet). It's not like Palley is Rudolf Hilferding, an actual Finance Minister with his fingers on the switches of power. This may or may not be a good thing. But he's got a program to recommend.

I was wondering whether Palley's post-Keynesian ideas are what Max, Brad, Nathan here think the left should be organizing to implement and whether they think find it realistic that such policy could indeed be implemented.
>From the back cover, I noted that William Greider, James Galbraith
(postKeynesian economist), Michael Hout (an author of the Bell Curve Critique done by the Berkeley Sociology Dept) and others are quite high about Palley's ideas. I didn't notice Doug's name. best, rb