Identity politics

Wed May 27 00:00:48 PDT 1998

>I protest.
>
>I want *fat* social insurance. I want OSHA to have more muscle. I want
>community college to be free. I want the American union movement--and the
>NLRB--back where it was in the 1950s with some serious muscle in it. I want
>$2 an hour more in the minimum wage.

You can get fat social insurance in the form of employment guaranteed by the public sector. You get OSHA to use its muscle to close down smaller enterprises as part of the centralization of capital. You could have an entire corporatist structure in which labor is subsumed. You could have raise the wage $2 if that is what was necessary to replenish workers after an intenstification of a labor process. And Brad you could have all these things if only there were a strong fascist party in the US today.

best, rakesh