Alterman and Rorty

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at gladstone.uoregon.edu
Wed May 27 01:25:15 PDT 1998

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Nathan Newman wrote:

> BTW majoritarianism is not preparing to vote for Gore; it is actually
> thinking about how to frame a political strategy that could produce an
> alternative who could actually win the nomination and the Presidency.

No, it's just the old but-Newt-is-even-worse plea prior to reconciling leftleaning citizens to another dismal set of neoliberal hacks. Strategies don't change societies, organizing does. And the model you suggest here -- that we should organize voters on behalf of a good Dem leader -- has been tried. And has failed. Miserably. For decades. No nomination process or President alone can fix the problems of this country; only a totally new political system, a genuine multiparty democracy, backed by powerful new civic associations, radical trade unions, and welfare state alliances can even begin to do that. We need proportional representation and public-funded campaigns in this country, for starters. Where are the Dems on that issue? All I hear is a vast, significant silence, punctuated by the electronic whir of ill-gotten capital gains being telnetted to DNC coffers.

-- Dennis