Brasil: Trade unionist assassinated in Rio

J. Martorel socappeal at EASYNET.CO.UK
Wed May 27 10:17:31 PDT 1998

Brasil: Trade unionist assassinated http://www.labournet.org.uk/spanish/1998/tiao.html

>From the CUT-Rio de Janeiro daily news bulletin, 21/05/98
Tragic news shocked CUT members in Rio de Janeiro: Sabastiao Francisco Lima, known as "Fearless Tiao", leader of the CUT opposition within the bus drivers union had been assassinated. He was shot dead at 9 am inside a 760 bus where he was working as a driver and which had just reached its final destination. Two men on a motorbike waited until all passangers had left, shot Tiao dead and went away.

"They shot to kill. We are certain they were hired assassins, although we don't know who hired them" said the Director of Social Policies of the CUT in Rio, Carlos Roberto da Silva. Many people were interested in killing Tiao. Obviously the Busdrivers Union, where he conducted a strong opposition work for the CUT, should be investigated", he said.

The general secretary of the CUT in Rio, declared in Brasilia that "we are not going to accept impunity. We are going to put pressure so that there is an investigation and the executioners and the one behind them are found".

Tiao was a well respected leader of the CUT. As a result of his struggle the bus drivers use to call him "Fearless Tiao". He was a member of the executive of the CUT in Rio, of the CUT National Department of Transport Workers and the main leader of the opposition within the Rio bus drivers union. He leaves two children and many friends.

Solidarity messages to: CUT Rio de Janeiro: cutrj at alternex.com.br ----------------------- La Red Obrera/LabourNet www.labournet.org.uk/spanish laredobrera at socappeal.easynet.co.uk