Alterman and Rorty

Thomas Kruse tkruse at albatros.cnb.net
Wed May 27 13:42:03 PDT 1998

Regarding:

>I'm curious as to what people think about Wellstone's possible run. He's
>got a piece in the current ITT; and I think there was a thing in the
>Nation (or the Progressive?) a couple of weekes ago. Does anyone remember
>how he justified his vote in the Defense of the Family Act?

I was in Minneapolis in summer 1996 when he came out against gay/lesbian marriage; in fact we were living with a lesbian family, so I got an earful from them too. The gay/lesbian groups of MN were major Wellstone backers, and felt very betrayed, if my friends were any indication of the general sentiment. When asked how he could be against non-traditional families -- i.e. _for_ state-sponsored discrimination against such families -- he responded that he had done some soul searching, and it (gay marriage, etc.) just didn't seem right. I don't know if he further elaborated later.

My friends were of two minds: those that swore to never vote for him again; those that grudgingly would.

Tom

Tom Kruse / Casilla 5812 / Cochabamba, Bolivia Tel/Fax: (591-42) 48242 Email: tkruse at albatros.cnb.net