Wellstone

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Wed May 27 15:22:32 PDT 1998

> Max,
>
> I'm curious as to how you are able to deal with/accept the Defense of
> Marriage vote. I might almost prefer for him to hav been pandering to
> staunch Lutheran Minnesotans rather than following his conscience on that
> one. I thought it interesting that neither the Nation nor

Me too. I'd be surprised to learn he really really had a problem with the principle. I can't believe he could be that dumb.

If one supports any real-world politician in office, one will have to deal with disappointments of this sort all the time. Lenin justified terror. I think we can tolerate some delay in issuing marriage licenses to Heather's two mommies if there is enough offsetting merit in view.

What burns my biscuits is that when pols routinely betray the working class on economic issues but retain some bona fides by being pro-choice, pro-affirmative action, etc., but when a guy like the former gov of Pennsylvania whose name escapes me pulls a reversal of this, he's persona non grata with all the boojie liberals. Couldn't even speak at the convention. But Ed Koch could speak.

MBS