Michael Moore Responds

James Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu
Wed May 27 19:03:32 PDT 1998

Louis P writes: > It is important to understand that Studs Lonigan is everything that a proletarian hero should not be. He is a bum and a reactionary. The final pages of the novel depict a May Day demonstration and Lonigan on his death bed says that the cops should beat in their heads.<

this is the kind of thing that left art needs. In the film SALVADOR, the character played by James Woods is a _total and utter_ asshole. This makes the preachiness of the film more bearable, more able to sway the opinions of those not already converted. I'm the type who likes novels like Steinbeck's IN DUBIOUS BATTLE, but I doubt that anyone who isn't already a leftist does.

Maybe it's like e-mail messages on lbo-talk: we have to write thinking about the others reading our messages rather than simply responding to the person we're replying to.

Jim Devine jdevine at popmail.lmu.edu & http://clawww.lmu.edu/Departments/ECON/jdevine.html "There's nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine... Been here 4 1/2 billion years. We've been here, what a 100,000 years, maybe 200,000. And we've only engaged in heavy industry a little over 200 years. 200 years vs. 4 1/2 billion. And we have the conceit to think that somehow we're a threat? The planet isn't going away. We are." -- George Carlin.