Michael Moore Responds

Michael Yates mikey+ at pitt.edu
Thu May 28 05:44:12 PDT 1998

Friends,

Speaking of James Farrell, he wrote a tetralogy (sp?--four books) called the "Danny O'Neill" series, which, in my view, are just great. Wonderful characters, powerfully written. The second or third of the set is called "Father and Son" I believe and it just blew me away. One of the novels has a poem by A.E. Housman at the beginning. It's one of my favorites.

Stars I have seen them fall But when they drop and die No star is lost at all
>From all the star-strewn sky

The toil of all that be Helps not the final fault It rains into the sea And still the sea is salt

I hope I got that right. Anyway, go to the library and get the novels. They're great.

Michael Yates