Marriage peanlty tax

Charles Brown charlesb at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us
Thu May 28 10:03:36 PDT 1998

Here's some speculation:

I think the tax was instituted under Reagan. He had so drastically cut corporate and rich taxes, completing a 40 or so year trend of shifting much tax burden from the bourgeoisie to the working class, with this tax as one of shifts to the working class.

Now Clinton needs bones to throw to the "middle class". This is one. Other conservatives can get with it because it promotes MARRIAGE or monogamy, a fundamental pillar of class society along with private property and the state.

The struggle to abolish monogamy is the poor and lost cousin of the Marxist, left and radical movement. Do Marxists think Engels was for abolishing private property, whithering away the state, but keeping the (monogamous) family ?

Charles Brown

>>> "Anderson, Bob" <band at unm.edu> 05/28 1:58 AM >>>
The folks who promote term limits are also attacking the marriage penatly tax, which makes me suspicious of their criticism of the tax. Can anyone help me understand the marriage penalty tax issue?