Invention of the white race

J Cullen reporter at eden.com
Thu May 28 10:43:47 PDT 1998

Lawrence Goodwyn argued, in Democratic Promise: The Populist Movement in America (1976), that the preliminary success of the agrarian populists in forming coalitions with black sharecroppers in the 1890s was a major reason for the passage of Jim Crow laws. The Populist coalition threatened to usurp the power of the Bourbon Democratic establishment, which reacted violently at the polls to maintain power and engineered the segregation laws to make sure that blacks and whites never would get together again. In the North, Goodwyn wrote, it was just about as difficult for the farmers to get together with the immigrants in the cities as it was to get them together with the blacks in the South.

You may recall that the Ku Klux Klan was opposed to immigrants and Catholics, particularly in those areas where blacks were scarce. Anti-Catholic activity continued at least through the 1960s. When my father, an Irish Catholic, ran for state representative in Iowa in 1960 to help fill out the Democratic ticket, the Klan rallied near our town and burned a cross in support of the god-fearing Protestant Republicans.

That changed in the 1960s, as the ethnic Americans became white and, after 1968, increasingly Republican. Now the Klan recruits Irish Catholics. I suppose that's progress.

-- Jim Cullen

---------------------------------------- THE PROGRESSIVE POPULIST James M. Cullen, Editor P.O. Box 150517, Austin, Texas 78715-0517 Phone: 512-447-0455 Internet: populist at usa.net Home page: http://www.eden.com/~reporter ----------------------------------------