Michael Moore Responds

Richard Marens parvus at u.washington.edu
Thu May 28 12:17:54 PDT 1998

If it is useful to personify the problem, and I for one believe it is, how about pointing the finger at so-called "investors" who, as Doug (and Edward Wolf) has so succinctly pointed-out, largely upper class, a group that includes top managers as well?

There are plenty of reasons to be unsympathetic to the class (or sub-class?) interests of middle-managers as a class, but they have become a convenient scapegoat for their superiors, much like blaming abusive overseers for the evils of slavery.

Vicki Smith wrote a book called "Managing in the Corporate Interest", that is essentially a case study of how top management at a major bank happily tossed career managers overboard (or subjected them to speedups) as a solution to the problems created, in part, by top managerial incompetence. One hysterical chapter covers a weekend "training" that attempts to brainwash branch managers on the virtues of more work and less security.