Othello, etc. (was Re: Invention of the white race)

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Thu May 28 17:55:27 PDT 1998

I'd start earlier, like 1492:

1. "Discovery of New World" i.e. genocide, beginning of debates about who is human, who has a soul, Las Casas, etc. see, e.g., Jan Carew's articles on Columbus and the Origins of Racism in RACE & CLASS a few years back.

2. Moors defeated at Grenada ending hundreds of years of African civilization of the Iberian Peninsula, and commencing a particularly nasty period there.

3. European Discovery of cape sea route to India, altering trade routes and global economic power relations.

4. Papal Bull of 1492-93, dividing the world between Spain and Portugal.

I've seen some strong arguments that there was no "european" self concept or "white" self-concept prior to this period and the well known slaving, plunder, robbery, genocide, etc. that followed.

Plenty of primitive accumulation by 1500. I think some figures can be found in Hosea Jaffee's A HISTORY OF AFRICA, Zed Press. The important points made by Marx in Capital vol. 3 on historical facts regarding merchant capital are relevant here.