Invention of th Cops & Race (and a note on the Irish)

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Thu May 28 18:31:57 PDT 1998

> There's another problem: there's evidence that "minority" members who have
> joined the L.A. Police Department have generally absorbed the "majority"
> perspective among cops (i.e., that the cops should act like an occupying
> army in "minority" communities).

After the murder of Fred Hampton there was a photograph of the murder squad (Chicago cops on loan to the D.A.) standing around in the death room. I may still have it tucked away some place, but what stood out were the black cops. And of course, how many Vietnamese were in the Puppet Army? There was also an interesting movie I saw parts of on TV, I don't remember its title) which revolved around the political activity of the son of a Black Police officer in apartheid S.A. There are *always* traitors, and in some conditions they are even in the majority for periods of time.

But to revert to an earlier thread, black cops in army occupying the inner city are no worse than white workers scribbling racist remarks on the lockers of black workers: they too are traitors to their class. It is an empirical question as to their numbers at the present time.

On the Irish. I believe one of the first "race riots" in U.S. history was directed against the Irish in (?) Louisville in the 1850s, but I have long forgotten my source for this. Secondly (again I don't remember my source) Irish municipal power made metropolitan police forces *the* first great experiment in affirmative action. Finally, Bill Fletcher in Chicago last fall spoke of the phenomenon (in the *1980s*) of those who got on the boat in England Irish and got off the boat white.

(Is Carl Davidson on this list? If you are, Carl, would it be possible to get the text of any of Fletcher's presentations at the MRSA conference last fall?)

Carrol