dehistoricising racism

Kenneth Mostern kmostern at utk.edu
Fri May 29 08:44:49 PDT 1998

What I've been trying to say is that this is simply not an either/or proposition - not only because racial ideology is so slippery, but because racism has always been differentiated in a continual, not a discreet, hierarchy. There was (and to a small extent still is) racism against Eastern and Southern Europeans; it was not the same as racism against blacks because racism was internally differentiated. This is not a complicated point.

Kenneth Mostern Department of English University of Tennessee

"Talent is perhaps nothing other than successfully sublimated rage."

Theodor Adorno

-----Original Message----- From: Mathew Forstater [SMTP:forstate at levy.org] Sent: Friday, May 29, 1998 11:16 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: dehistoricising racism

I agree completely that we cannot conflate racism with other forms of group antipathy or conflict and believe I gave some of the same reasons earlier.

But on the following point:

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Jim heartfield wrote:

> target of racism are missing the point. Today blacks are the principle
> targt of racism, but in the past Jews, Italians, East Europeans and
> Irish were also targeted. A change has taken place.

Racism against these european groups--when it was racism and not ethnic or religious prejudice--was always in reference to Africans. Which side of the arbitrary, shifting line they fell on at a particular time under particular social circumstances. But the line was between "black" and "white" and African peoples were the referent at the far end.

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4066 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19980529/4be07e5b/attachment.bin>