Identity politics

Mathew Forstater forstate at levy.org
Fri May 29 09:12:44 PDT 1998

Andrew- But the argument of the Darity et al. group is, I believe, that white workers gain absolutely from discrimination against black workers, even if Reich is right that they lose relatively to capitalists. We have to take the analysis beyond the aggregate reserve army and bring in the role played by job-specific reserve armies (micro labor queues) and the way in which white workers organizing on the basis of ethnic solidarity increases their bargaining power. In any case I agree with your conclusion (8). -Mat