dehistoricising racism

Charles Brown charlesb at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us
Fri May 29 13:41:20 PDT 1998

Matthew, What do you mean by "hierarchical" society ? Having a state ? Having classes ? Are there any protoelements of this non-capitalist society now existing ?

Charles

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Charles Brown wrote:

> Let me offer a hypothesis: Racism against Africans is integral to

CAPTIALISM through its entire HISTORICAL existence and vice versa. The

African slavery was a critical aspect of the socalled primitive

accumulation of ALL capitalism , not just U.S. It played a special role

in the origin of capitalism.

Agreed.

> The end of U.S.capitalism (which will be pretty much the same or the
>knell of the end of all capitalism, given the centrality of the American
>state to all neo-imperialism) is almost identical with the end of U.S.
>anti-Black racism.

Only, even potentially, if replaced with a non-hierarchical society. I have to believe that under present conditions, if there was a transition from capitalism to some other hierarchal system, that racism (and patriarchy) would continue to play a role in who gets what and who goes where.

Mat