abortion litmus test

Katha Pollitt kpollitt at thenation.com
Sat May 30 05:24:00 PDT 1998

Unfortunately, frances is wrong. jack kemp is very anti-choice; and although Gov. pataki calls himself pro-choice, he is in actual real-life politics in favor of most anti-choice measures that are afoot in NY state -- parental consent, bans on late abortions, etc. He has something like a zero record with NY-National Abortion and Reproductive rights Action Coaltion, and a very good record acording to the Christian Coalition.

As for those religious groups that are "progressive" but anti-choice -- Sojourners, Catholic Worker, Seamless garment etc. I think it is fine to work in coaltion with them on capital punishment and other specific issues, but I would not get in too deep, I would not work where they set the agenda *(i.e. homosexuals welcome but only if in closet) and I would challenge them constantly about their anti=abortion stances, which in fact IS connected with other anti-woman views (male priesthood, "family values," more power of Christianity over your life).