Othello and the Psychogeography of the State under Siege

hoov hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Sat May 30 13:53:23 PDT 1998

> Triumphalism of racial supremacy is always a veneer, and beneath it one
> can see a barely hidden psychology of the state under siege, threatened by
> anarchic and uncivilized forces of the racial Other, the cultural Other, and
> Woman as well as insubordinations of domestic malcontents and plotters of
> the lower order.
> >Yoshie
>
> Sometimes "barely hidden" doesn't even come close. In the fall of 1900,
> Albert Beveridge gave a speech to the "young men of Indianapolis" about why
> they ought to become lifelong Republicans. (This is the same year he gave
> his famous speech in the Senate about what our racial duties and economic
> opportunities were in the Philippines.)
> Steve

US policymakers responded to Article XXVII of the 1917 Mexico constitution governing land reform and foreign investment with a bevy of racist sentiments...for example, James R. Sheffield, US ambassador to Mexico during the years 1925-1927, stated that the problem in dealing with Mexico was "There is a very little white blood in the Cabinet"... Michael Hoover