the hell with democracy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun May 31 13:16:32 PDT 1998

>From a review of Alan Blinder's Central Bankin in Theory and Practice (MIT,
1998) by one Manuel Guitián (no affiliation given) in Finance & Development, June 1998:

"Blinder also poses a most interesting question that inevitably arises with arguments for central bank independence. Those arguments, in the author's own words, 'apply just as well to many other aspects of economic policy - and, indeed, to noneconomic policy as well.' Yet no one talks of turning over those aspects to independent agencies. Like him, I cannot but wonder why. Regretfully, he leaves the quesetion as 'food for thought, perhaps for another day.' For those interested in following up, Blinder indicates that he has offered some views on this issue in his article 'Is Government too Political?' (Foreign Affairs, Vol. 76, No. 4, 1997)."

I guess the waffly "food for thought, perhaps for another day" is what makes Blinder a liberal. Nothing political about Foreign Affairs, or its parent, the Council on Foreign Relations, though.

Doug