pak nukes (fwd)

Charles Brown charlesb at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us
Sun May 31 14:57:23 PDT 1998

I had been wanting to mention what Yoshie says: the U.S. is the only country ever to use nuclear weapons in war. Also, the U.S. is the main culprit in the arms race with the Soviets , and thus mainly responsible for the biggest proliferation of nuclear weapons. As everyone knows , the U.S. had the bomb first. The Soviets asked the U.S. to agree to ban the bomb at that time. The U.S. refused. Thus, the beginning of the race is the U.S.'s responsibilty. At every stage thereafter, it was the U.S. that initiated escalations, right up to the threat of Star Wars.

It is disgusting to hear the U.S. discuss other countries as somehow more dangerous possessors of nuclear weapons. The U.S. IS the evil empire.

I say all of this while hoping very much, of course, that India and Pakistan will workout an effective peace treaty between themselves, and while regretting any increase in the number of nuclear weapons in the world.

Charles Brown

>>> Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> 05/29 9:08 PM >>>
Carrol:
>Also, assuming that the expansion of the "nuclear club" is really opposed
>by by core ruling circles in the U.S. (e.g., the Foreign Affairs Council),
>then why should we not accept with gratitude *anything* that limits the
>capacity of the U.S. to throw its weight around?

A good point, especially given that the US is the only country that has actually used nuclear weapons in war. Also, the US considers practically every country in the world to be its potential enemy, whereas India and Pakistan don't seem to have beef with many countries besides each other.

Yoshie