'Intelligence' and Race (was Re: Invention of the white race //

Carrol Cox cbcox at rs6000.cmp.ilstu.edu
Sun May 31 15:20:51 PDT 1998

Yoshie writes:
> Further, why even _ask_ questions such as, 'Do different races have
> different levels of intelligence?' I think that racism is inherent in
> questions like the above.

This is where it is important to remember what has been definitively established, there is no such thing as race: that is, the very concept of race belongs to ideology (racist ideology) not to science of any kind. And since race does not exist, it is impossible (without circularity) to select the population whose "intelligence" is to be measured. Both Stephen Gould and Barbara Fields are very good on this.

Someone wished to claim that the non-existence of the word "race" in a biological sense in a culture was irrelevant to the determination whether that culture was characterized by "racism." The non-existence of the term is far from decisive in any way, but it is simply absurd to say that it is irrelvant.

Carrol