Remedial Class Struggle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun May 31 16:28:26 PDT 1998

Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:

>This is particularly galling when one takes into account that the FL state
>public school system is ranked among the lowest in the country (somewhere
>between 47-49). Of course a large percentage of the students are going to
>need extensive remedial work.

Seems to me the U.S. ruling class doesn't give a damn if most kids can't read or add - might interfere with their being turned into drones for Wal-Mart. Sure, we need a technical/managerial elite, but no more than 10% of the population. But at least Pataki's advisers at the Manhattan Institute are honest enough to say there are too many people in college now, and they want to reduce their numbers. Let McDonald's run the public schools, and they can send the promising grads to Hamburger University for a proper finishing.

Doug