Marcuse and the CIA

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Nov 2 08:13:28 PST 1998

Quoth Heartfield:

"Today the right has collapsed - not just in Britain but across Europe and North America. The Gaullists in France, the Christian Democrats in Germany and **the Republicans in the USA** have all been reduced to rump parties whose only opportunity to exercise influence is by legalistic skulduggery, or by imitating the Third Way adopted by their opponents. " [emphasis ** added]

Huh? I find this assessment of G.O.P. power baffling. They've got majorities in both houses of Congress, the governorships of almost all of our ten largest states, working majority on the Supreme Court, and a turncoat in the WH. If this is 'rump' influence, I'd hate to see the real thing.

Otherwise I'd like to say that I found Heartfield's article interesting but raising more questions than it answered.

MBS