US Savings rate

Greg Nowell GN842 at CNSVAX.Albany.Edu
Mon Nov 2 14:29:56 PST 1998

Could someone help me figure out what this is. To wit.

1. Does it include monthly equity bought in homes that have mortgages.

2. Does it include 401k and 401b contributions.

3. If we posit an accounting identity between S and I how do we get any I going on in the US under negavtive household savings--corporate retained earnings, or foreign investment? I find it difficult to believe that household savings really are negative as reported, unless some important exclusions are made. -gn

-- Gregory P. Nowell Associate Professor Department of Political Science, Milne 100 State University of New York 135 Western Ave. Albany, New York 12222

Fax 518-442-5298