Ayn Rand

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Nov 3 07:45:28 PST 1998

On Tue, 03 Nov 1998 10:14:47 -0500 "Charles Brown" <CharlesB at CNCL.ci.detroit.mi.us> writes:

>Speaking of election day, the NYT,
>November 3 has a front page story that
>says in part:
>
>"Bored, Dispirited, Disgusted, Most Won't Vote"
>
>By Dirk Johnson
>
>....For all the handicapping about the races
>between Democrats and Republicans on
>Tuesday, there is little doubt what most
>Americans will effectively choose: none of
>the above.
>
> It is a virtual certainty that fewer than
>half of all eligible voters will visit
>the polls on Tuesday; some political
>analysts say the number could plummet
>to about one-third."
>
>________
>Charles: It is not just the current
>election. MOST OF THE PEOPLE
>DO NOT VOTE MOST OF THE TIME.
>This has been the case for quite
>a while now. The largest turnouts
>are for Presidential elections and
>that is barely 50%. Other elections
>are less.

The situation is actually much worse than that because only about 70% of people who are eligible to vote are in fact registered, so when you talk about a 50% turnout in presidential election that works out to a turnout of only 35% of people, eleigible to vote. Furthermore, the situation is much worse in the African-American community where not only fewer people are registered but given the large percentage of African-American males who are being convicted as felons with the result that a growing percentage of African-Americans are being permanently disenfranchised since in most states convicted felons permanently lose their right to vote.

>It seems to me a
>reasonable interpretation of this
>to say that the MAJORITY are
>saying the electoral system does
>not work. It is common for
>some people to decry those who
>don't vote as irresponsible. There
>is some truth to this. But what doesn't
>get emphasized enough is that by
>the "democratic" system , the majority
>"rules" , and by this standard the American
>voting system itself has been ruled
>as a failure.

The American political system works fine for the small minority who are wealthy and are quite happy keeping it the way it is. It provides a democratic cover for is in reality oligarchic rule.

>The American political system is in crisis
>and doesn't admit it.

Isn't it up to us to intensify such a crisis by exposing the myths that legitimate the existing system?

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]