Time to bulldoze the Jefferson Memorial?

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Tue Nov 3 08:08:51 PST 1998

Dear Carl,

You raise an interesting and little researched point. Let me elaborate.

Going through the rolls of Washington's Army I was struck by the large number of Pennsylvania "Dutch" surnames that comprised the soldiers in the Continental Army commanded by Washington. Somewhere between 40% to 60% at any one time during the revolution. The 60% figure may even be low for the Valley Forge period. This is probably why von Stuben found employment. He could speak, read and write the language of the common revolutionaries.

What makes this even more interesting is that many of these revolutionaries were religious secterians not of the Lutheran or Calvinist variety and had a certain abhorance of war. Amish and Mennonite scholars even today don't want to talk about this.

Anyway, some scholar with a mastery of the "Dutch" dialect should translate some of the revolutionary era "Dutch" dialect newspapers and sermons. I have a hunch that the people who did the fighting had their own ideas about things.

Sincerely, Tom Lehman