Ayn Rand

James Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Tue Nov 3 08:44:50 PST 1998

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998 11:12:25 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:
>
>>Who is this guy Sciabarra?
>
>Big fan of Rand & the Austrians too; thinks they share the dialectical
>method with Marx. Did his poli sci diss at NYU under Bertell Ollman.

IMO Sciabarra's argument that the Austrians share the dialectical method with Marx is more persuasive than his case for the same thesis concerning Ayn Rand although the Rand book provides an interesting survey early twentieth century Russian thought alongside a scholarly account of Rand's intellectual development.

In the case of the Austrians, the case that they drew upon the dialectical method is more persuasive since Hayek did after all attempt to develop a theory of social evolution. BTW I am supposed to be given credit in one of Chris' forthcoming books because of information I provided him concerning Soviet appraisals of Karl Popper.

>By the way, paging through his Rand book I learned that the dreaded
>term
>"self-esteem" was coined and popularized by Rand's protege/lover
>Nathaniel
>Branden.

Nathaniel has much to answer for.

Jim Farmelant

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]