Time to bulldoze the Jefferson Memorial?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Tue Nov 3 10:18:56 PST 1998

> I agree with Doug. Crimes purposefully committed against humanity, however
> justified, are timeless. If we are going to allow him a
> historical-conditions defense, how do we account for the discord between
> TJ's limited definition of 'man' with the period's religious edict against
> bestiality? Jeff
> From: Doug Henwood

To all you turbulent priests, I don't care if you want to call TJ a crumb-bum.

His role in history seems to me an entirely different matter. A recent Nobel (in chemistry, I believe) was exposed as a child-abuser. What does this mean for his work? I would say zilch.

In a slavocracy a slave-owner could in principle favor abolitionism and actually help bring it about. Would this event be diluted by his personal hypocrisy? I would say not. How his character is assessed, or how his legend contributes to the bourgeois panaroma of U.S. history is another matter. Isn't there a difference?

Unsentimentally yours,

MBS