Bartlett and Steele in Time

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:19:36 PST 1998

Has anyone seen the cover story in Time this week? It's an investigative piece by Brad's favorite reporters, Bartlett and Steele, on corporate welfare. It's really amusing, if only for the ideological blinders it exposes. They go on and on about the various forms of blackmail corporations use to extort bennys from state, local, and national governments, but go out of their way to claim that the corporations, who are after all simply following thier god-given right to maximize profits, are not to blame - it's the governments that cave in! Their solution? Eliminate corporate taxation, to lessen the temptation!

I always think I've become inured to corporate media hypocrisy, but then I read something like this...

Jim Baird