Message From Pittsburgh October 29, 1998

Andrew C Pollack andypollack at juno.com
Tue Nov 3 14:03:06 PST 1998

On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 15:01:34 -0500 Tom Lehman <uswa12 at lorainccc.edu> writes:

>My guesstimate of import penetration into our domestic steel market,
>that I sent you about a month or so ago, was trending toward 30%.
>The>latest from our president George Becker sees a 48% import
penetration
>of>our domestic market.
>
>Sincerely,
>Tom L.

"Our" domestic steel market?

Bill Henning of CWA Local 1180 told a story this weekend at a conference in New York about how his local had convinced a CWA convention to change a "Buy American" resolution into a "Buy Union" one. Contrast this to Tom's approach.

Is it too much to ask, in this age of globalization, of massive worker revolts among South Korean, South African, Brazilian and other steelworkers, that the first person plural should apply to classes and not to nations? With unions all over the world holding international solidarity conferences all the time -- seems like there's one at least every month -- is this the best "our" steelworkers union can come up with?

Remember the immortal words of Lenny Bruce:

"The Lone Ranger, seeing Indians on all the hills around him, turns to Tonto and says, 'Looks like we're surrounded, Tonto." To which Tonto replies:

'What do you mean WE, white man?'"

Andy Pollack who grew up in Pittsburgh and knows whereof he speaks ___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]