Bartlett and Steele in Time

Frances Bolton (PHI) fbolton at chuma.cas.usf.edu
Tue Nov 3 15:05:29 PST 1998

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Max Sawicky wrote:

> Where do B&S say to eliminate corporate taxation?

I bought this issue of Time, figuring I could read it while I was waiting on line to vote (I was going at peak time, after work) HAHAHAHA!! There were three people there, and seven voting machines. Oh, well. Six civic minded volunteers. They gave me a sticker that reads, "I voted."

Anyway, I don't see them explicitly saying, "eliminate corporate taxation" in this piece. They *do* write, "Some companies receive public services at reduced rates, while all others pay full costs....(and so on) In the end, that's corporate welfare's greatest flaw. It's unfair. One role of government is to help insure a level playing field for people and businesses. Corporate welfare does just the opposite. It tilts the playing field in favor of the largest or most politically influential or most aggressive businesses..." p.39

I can see where Jim might want to read that as "eliminate corporate taxation," but one might also want to read that as eliminate corporate welfare. I am basing that latter interpretation on the phrase "people and businesses." Although, in the course of writing this out, Jim's reading is getting more plausible.

I highly recommend the piece on the Death of the Supermodel.

frances