Bartlett and Steele in Time

Tresy Kilbourne tresyk at halcyon.com
Tue Nov 3 16:29:11 PST 1998

Max Sawicky writes:

>Where do B&S say to eliminate corporate taxation?
Answer: They don't. Go read the article (first in a series to span the next few issues) at

http://cgi.pathfinder.com/time/magazine/1998/dom/981109/cover1.html

That they don't say any such thing is hardly surprising, since in their much-derided (and apparently unread) book on taxes they advocate exactly the opposite--increasing taxes on corporations to a 25 percent share of the total income tax collections from individuals and businesses.

I must say that I find it funny that Mr. Baird waves B&S around as an example of "ideological blinders" about taxation when his own flawlessly bogus account of what they wrote betrays a myopic Marxist lens that sees "corporate media hypocrisy" everywhere, no matter what the actual facts. I like to imagine the general LBO hilarity at B&S's expense if they had committed such a howler in print. But I have come to realize that factual scrupulosity is a one-way street in these quarters.

______________________________________________________________ PGP Keys <mailto:tresyk at halcyon.com?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>