Do you hate Clinton?

Christopher Niles cniles at ricochet.net
Wed Nov 4 06:23:46 PST 1998

>I suggest the relative success of the Democrats does make a difference, as
>the election victory of Blair last year made a difference

To who? And how? Do Blair and Clinton represent critical movement toward the elimination of poverty, ecological restoration, the abolition of private property, anti-authoritarian governance, an end to whiteism? Usually, discussions about the "difference" that elections make are pretty sloppy but I'll play along: As far as I can tell, there is an inverse relationship between the "difference" that elections make and the intensification of global competition. Sure, elections make a differnce, but only, generally speaking, on the relative margins. Fundamentally, however, electoral politics in any authoritarian context is a form of social control. What the hell is the right to vote when one does not have the right to meaningful work, good health, etc.

I have not voted for two years now. I must say, it's been quite liberating, not to mention elightening. Initially it was a difficult choice since much of my inspiration for becoming an agitator came from those who have died in the struggle for the franchise. In the end, however, I refused, and refuse, to partricipate in the reproduction of hopelessness.

Much more needs to be said about this but I gotta run.

NIles