Other views of Jefferson

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Wed Nov 4 06:37:42 PST 1998

Re this excerpt from Bill Lear's posting of Kenneth O'Reilly, *Nixon's Piano: Presidents and Racial Politics from Washington to Clinton*:

"For all its qualifications, Winthrop Jordan observed, [Thomas Jefferson's] Notes on the State of Virginia constituted the most 'extreme formulation of anti-Negro "thought" offered by any American in the thirty years after the Revolution.' While Jefferson's God created all men equal, his science 'proved' blacks inferior to whites. ... For every dream of manumission blocked only by personal debts, it should be noted, the Monticello aesthete offered a thought that could have come from an accountant's pen. 'I consider the labor of a breeding woman as no object, and that a child raised every 2. years is of more profit than the crop of the best laboring man,' he wrote. "In this, as in all other cases, providence has made our interests and our duties coincide perfectly.' He disliked slavery only in theory."

In light of the abundant additional evidence contained in that posting from O'Reilly, I have to amend my previous indictments of Jefferson. He's way, way beyond hypocrisy -- emerging as one of the most loathsome figures in the history this nation, at least. The only defense that seems plausible for him is insanity; Jefferson comes across as possibly psychotic in O'Reilly's depiction.

Carl Remick