linux: halloween // I2O spec now opened up

Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net
Wed Nov 4 12:56:34 PST 1998

Some more developments in the linux / opensource woyld:

1.) Tim O'Reilly responds to the Microsoft "halloween" letter with an (open) letter himself:

http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/press/tim_msletter.html

Tim's company publishes (the) manuals for the UNIX/sysadmin/programming geek world.

2.) Back in May, John St. Clair and I were kicking around on LBO the problems associated with the then-closed I2O bus specs. Perhaps responding to outside pressure, the industry consortium in charge has now opened the spec up:

http://www.newsalert.com/free/story?StoryId=CnJ_FubKbytaWndm

This means that new hardware dveloped for various computer architectures under the I2O spec can itself have software developed for it within the opensource/GNU/linux community. It had previously been feared that the closed I2O spec was a way for MicroTwits to cordon off new I2O-compatible hardware -- and hence systems -- from the 'anarchaic' (DeLong) twrirly heads.

for the techical beanie-heads, here is a blurb on the I2O:

http://www.i2osig.org/Architecture/TechBack98.html

-- ____ Les Schaffer godzilla at netmeg.net ___| --->> Engineering R&D <<--- Theoretical & Applied Mechanics | Designspring, Inc. Center for Radiophysics & Space Research | Westport, CT USA Cornell Univ. schaffer at tam.cornell.edu | les at designspring.com