Bartlett (sic) and Steele in Time

alexlocascio at juno.com alexlocascio at juno.com
Wed Nov 4 05:53:00 PST 1998

On Wed, 4 Nov 1998 15:10:51 -0500 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>You're an obnoxious idiot. Why do you spend any time here if it's so
>awful?
>A certain degree of venom can be tolerable if it's delivered with some
>wit,
>but your stuff so far is witless.

I can see how Tresy's comments about diploma mills and so forth might be a bit offensive, but so far no one seems to be addressing his points about Barlett and Steele. Brad De Long issues a facile statement along the lines that B&S's statistics are irrelevant to the progressivity of the deductive IRA and that they don't understand what a progressive tax is. Fine, but how about giving us some specifics to back up the claim that B&S don't know what they're talking about? From what I've observed so far, Tresy will cite passages from Barlett and Steele, and list members will reply with remarks about what a shitty source B&S are. Okay, but how about putting aside the snide certitude for a minute and explaining why to those of us who might be in the dark?

___________________________________________________________________ You don't need to buy Internet access to use free Internet e-mail. Get completely free e-mail from Juno at http://www.juno.com/getjuno.html or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]