Pataki/Schumer victories

Jon Fine jonfine at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 4 17:04:07 PST 1998

Greg Nowell wrote:

> Here is some conventional political analysis.
>
> Pataki's victory is thin, and in essence shows the
> weakness of the Republicans in New York.

While I agree with much of the analysis that follows, Greg, it's a bit of a stretch to suggest that a 25-point victory is "thin."

As for this Presidential Pataki shit...well, it's a pipedream. VP material certainly--should reassure all the chary Northerners. Not much going for him otherwise. I doubt he's a moron, but he's got the presence and charisma of iceberg lettuce, and politics troubling the GOP activists. I suspect the NY media has to indulge a sense of self-importance by trumpeting any competent GOP guy w/governing experience into a possible Pres., but, jeez, get real. Yet as I type this I think: shit, if the economy stays good in NY, Pataki's got a lot of people to hit up for campaign funds.

re: Jesse: I'd have voted for him at the drop of a fucking hat. In terms of demographic data, I'm under 50, and whether or not there were snappy action figures in his commericals has nothing to do with my thinking here. Steve, d'ya think maybe you're overplaying the gullibility of the youth vote?

jf