Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 07:42:05 PST 1998

Bill raises a good point; it was misstating things to call Jesse dense and leave it at that. I think the point is that, like Ronald Reagan and a good many other actors, no one could rouse his interest in mundane workaday details. But shine a spotlight and you could be sure he'd show up on time with the material mastered.

Come day two of the Ventura era out here in the sticks, I am still happy over what's happened--also more convinced than ever that you've got to separate the public's surprising and laudable electoral uprising from the figure of Ventura himself, who, truth be told, is an entertainer first. He does seem to believe in the "small-l libertarian" positions he's staked out for himself, but they don't cut deep. By many accounts he was bored to tears and no longer actively participating after a year or two of his four-year term as mayor of Brooklyn Park, a Mpls suburb. (Again like Reagan, though Jesse didn't have all the handlers to wrap his indifference in layers of mystification.)

---------- From: William S. Lear Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 9:14 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

On Wed, November 4, 1998 at 13:59:21 (-0600) Steve Perry writes:

> .... After listening to his show for a couple of weeks,
>she rejected the job as impossible--he was just too dense. ...

I heard him interviewed on TV and he didn't seem too dense.

> .... One
>interesting dimension: A very large share of Ventura's vote seems to
>have come from young people who never voted before and used him as an
>opportunity to cast an absurdist--there's really no other word--vote
>against the system.

While I was attending school here in Austin at the University of Texas, they had a vote for Student President. Somebody decided to have a cartoon character from the "Eyebeam" comic strip (drawn by Sam Hurt) run for the position. Not only that, this particular character was a hallucination ("Hank the Hallucination" I think) that regularly visited one of the other characters.

Guess who won?

Bill -------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 2785 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/19981105/bfc39d23/attachment.bin>