Big winners: labor, minorities -- WSJ

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Thu Nov 5 08:11:22 PST 1998

I had the oddest feeling yesterday, post-election, and then I realized it was an uncustomary good mood. For the first time in a generation, the Republicans are genuinely on the run. The Wall Street Journal wrap-up this morning, for instance, was something to savor -- e.g., the front-page subhead, "Democrats' Debt to Unions." WSJ's coverage had some choice tidbits like these::

* "The key to the Democratic victories, both sides agreed, was in the party's ability to turn out its voters in key races.... The Democrats' turnout effort was aimed at the party's core support among blacks, union members and women.... Early analysis documents their success. Voting participation among union members, for example, jumped to 22% compared with 13% in 1994, when the Democrats lost the House."

* "Minority voters were decisive in key elections Tuesday, reclaiming center stage from the 'angry white males' who torpedoed Democratic hopes four years ago. This time it was nonwhites, especially African-Americans, particularly in the Deep South, who spearheaded a surprising Democratic resurgence."

* "Mr. Clinton owes [blacks and organized labor] big debts.... This means Democrats won't soften their opposition to ending affirmative-action programs anytime soon ... [and] the administration will proceed gingerly with any plans to once again seek congressional approval for 'fast-track' authority to negotiate trade deals."

Maybe most important of all, IMO, the Republicans have lost their psychological edge. As has been increasingly clear by the way the Starr investigation has played out, they've been blindsided by a basic shift in popular mood. I would describe today's radical right as "rebels without a clue."

Carl Remick