FW: Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

Steve Perry sperry at usinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 10:30:39 PST 1998

---------- From: Steve Perry Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 12:29 PM To: 'lbo-talk at lists.panix.com' Subject: RE: Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

The crime position site is interesting--the only thing there is a one-paragraph statement in support of medical marijuana.

---------- From: Max Sawicky Sent: Thursday, November 05, 1998 10:01 AM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Jesse The Balmy Wins in Minnesota

> be told, is an entertainer first. He does seem to believe in the
> "small-l libertarian" positions he's staked out for himself, but
> they don't cut deep. By many accounts he was bored to tears and

Jesse may think he's a libertarian, but his web site bespeaks entirely different leanings. A proper libertarian would be out to dismantle the state government, especially a relatively ample one such as Minnesota's. There is nothing about that in the web positions, only a desire to reduce, not eliminate (if you read carefully) the budget surplus with tax cuts. Jesse does seem to have a problem with social services, but he seems to support more infrastructure-type stuff and the public education system as well.

He had a position on crime but I was afraid to click on it.

In these respects, he might be understood as an interesting expression of working class feeling about government. There is a low-tax impulse but it is tempered in practice by support for the status quo, with some distressing exceptions, on the service side.

MBS