FWD: Re: J. O'Connor on Chomsky

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 5 11:36:05 PST 1998

On Thu, 5 Nov 1998, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Many Marxists have also objected to talk of "human nature." Does that
> make them PoMo's too?

Uh, no. C'mon, Doug: distribute your middle.

Pomos are

vocal on the

topos at the

moment...

> Besides, pointing to an innate capacity for language in humans doesn't
> tell you anything about what languages we actually come to speak, or
> what we say when we talk.

Uh, right. The question was the connection between Chomsky's linguistics and politics. The suggested answer was his (generally implicit) concept of a human nature that includes both semantics and ethics -- "meaning" in several senses.

--Regards, C. G. Estabrook