Ventura

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 06:28:37 PST 1998

>From Micah Sifry's Salon article:
> Robert Scheer,
> a columnist for the Los Angeles Times and a limousine liberal if there
> ever was one, said on his radio show on KCRW that "The people of
> Minnesota should be spanked for letting this happen."

A very interesting article. By the way, Salon would be a good model for the sort of web-based radical/Marxist mag I have been kicking around in my mind.

Scheer, as it turns out, was the editor of Ramparts in the 1960s, a very fine radical, investigative journalism monthly. Scheer was editor when the mag broke the story about the CIA funding all sorts of intellectual journals in the 1950s. Scheer was also quite a good journalist during the Reagan years and wrote a fine book exposing the nuclear war first-strike strategizing of the Reagan Defense Dept. He was what you might call a typical Nation Magazine asset during those years. Nowadays, with Clinton in the White House, he has become what Mark Hertsgaard called a stenographer to power. A different regime, but the same sort of spin-doctoring.

Louis Proyect