Pwog Poll

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Nov 6 08:22:34 PST 1998

jf noonan wrote:

>Respected by whom? Zogby is Rush Limbaugh's favorite pollster. When
>I watched the Pat Robertson's coverage of the elections Tuesday he had
>as guests Zogby, Ann Coulter, and Ben Wattenburg. Who the hell is the
>New World Foundation and how to they lay any claim to the label
>"progressive"?

It is a "pwogwessive" foundation, really.

The right liked Zogby in the run-up to this election because it was using a very heroic filter to come up with "likely voters," which had the result of boosting Republican numbers. Anti-Clinton pwogs like Sam Smith also cited Zogby for the same reason. I think Zogby is respectable enough to do a job like this right, though - unlike Frank Luntz, the Buchanan/Contract With America pollster who famously came up with the "more Gen Xers believe in UFOs than think they'll get a Social Security check" finding (he forgot to mention that they overwhelmingly supported Social Security despite this skepticism; he also cooked the Contract polling numbers, to the eventual embarrassment of the Congressional Republicans).

Doug